This evening’s show didn’t arise from a common theme, but they’re all songs that mean something to me, and likely many more of us. They speak to our rushed culture of distraction, our work ethic, our fear, our concern for our children, our aspirations, and our common humanity.
One of the bands we love, Playing for Change, is celebrating their 10 year anniversary. In an announcement to their subscribers, they shared a quote from one of their founders, that sums up my feeling about the music I share on the show:
“Music is the greatest tool we have to provide hope, joy, and inspiration to the next generation and that together we can change our world, one heart and one song at a time.”
So, I suppose this show is an offering of healing for the afflicted. May it ease your worried mind.
- Artist, Song, Album, Year
- Mike Mains and The Branches, Slow Down, Calm Down, Everything is Fine, 2014
- Rush, Working Man, Rush, 1974
- Alessia Cara, Wild Things, Know-It-All (Deluxe), 2015
- Blood Orange, Hands Up, Freetown Sound, 2016
- Xavier Rudd, Better People, White Moth, 2007
- Ibibio Sound Machine, Give Me a Reason, Uyai, 2017
- Jeff Beck, Scared for the Children, Loud Hailer, 2016
- The Alternate Routes, Somewhere in America, Somewhere in America (Single), 2016
- Jonatha Brooke, Put the Gun Down, Midnight. Hallelujah., 2016
- A Tribe Called Quest, The Space Program, We Got It From Here… Thank You 4 Your Service, 2016